It’s easy to snack on the go. It’s a convenient quick, foodie fix, however a speedy snack can sometimes be unhealthy. It depends on what you pick, and finding healthy alternatives to easy snacks can sometimes be difficult, especially if you are eating plant-based and need an extra boost to keep you going on the go.
The answer to healthy plant-based snacking that keeps you energetic and feeling fresh?
Let’s talk about it.
When you first go vegan it can seem harder to maximize your protein intake despite it being a really important macronutrient. Protein aids in muscle growth and muscle maintenance, thus being absolutely essential to getting the most out of your workouts. However if we don’t get enough protein it can affect the health of our bodies overall, alongside lessening the benefits of exercise.
A low protein intake can also leave us feeling tired and sluggish, which is not the best recipe for a great day. The reason protein is such a great source of energy is because it takes longer to digest than fat or carbohydrates, so it keeps you fuller for longer.
However, (in our opinion!) it’s a myth that those who are plant-based will struggle to get enough protein into their diet – and we’ll prove it wrong.
In no particular order, let’s look at some of the best vegan snacks to get in some extra protein and keep you going all day.
- First up, Almonds. They are a great option for some extra protein on the go. Simple. Effective. Inexpensive. And you can snack on a handful of almonds with ease.
- For an even bigger protein boost, Oatein’s Vegan Nutty Crisp Bar has a delicious combination of almonds, dates (another fantastic source of energy) and 15g of plant-based protein for a really impressive protein snack on the go.
- High Protein Brownie
- A double chocolate chip brownie? Yep. You heard me right. Finding healthy, high protein alternatives for unhealthy snacks can be a challenge however Oatein’s Vegan Brownie is packed full of nutritious oats and each brownie contains 15g of protein, making it the perfect midday treat with a cup of coffee.
- Sunflower Seeds
- Now, this is a good one. Sunflower Seeds not only have a packed protein and low carb content, they are super high in Vitamin E which protects against aging and contributes to proper organ function. You could snack on sunflower seeds, or mix them into a salad! A great vegan addition to your lunch. (We’ve also seen someone sprinkle their beans on toast with sunflower seeds, but that one is up to you!)
- Oats. They have amazing protein content, with 5g of high quality protein per 40g, and one of the best things about them is their versatility. At Oatein we’ve managed to cram high protein oats into a fantastic amount of on-the-go snacks. Of course, we have to give a special mention to our Vegan Millionaire Crunch here – a thick layer of rich chocolate over smoooooth caramel, on a pillowy bed of oaty, crunchy protein-filled goodness. It feels like a cheat day, and definitely gets us over the odd meal prep disaster.
- Vegan Protein Bars
- We know this seems obvious, but Vegan Protein Bars are a great way to get an immediate plant-based protein fix. They are easy to grab on the go, and convenient to carry around until you need a snack.
- Oatein is definitely the right place for protein bars; our Triple Chocolate Vegan HYPE Bars is perfect to smash your snackish mood, delivering 20g of protein, less than 1g of sugar and coming in at under 200 calories.
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Last but not least, pumpkin seeds. Nuts and seeds are the ultimate high protein, low carb snack and pumpkin seeds have some seriously good health benefits.
- They have a high magnesium content, which helps to lower blood pressure, fight depression and improves PMS symptoms in women. The high iron content in these magic little seeds is great for a healthy vegan diet too.
There you have it. Some of the best high protein snacks for vegans. From nutritious wholefoods to protein packed bars, there are lots of options for a convenient, healthy and plant-based snack, on the go.
Still looking for vegan protein inspo? Take a look at these posts to fuel your plant-based diet:
Of course, if you’re searching our go-to high protein vegan snacks, take a look at our Vegan range – filled with soy isolate & oat based goodness.
Let us know what you think of our plant powered suggestions and comment below any of your own high protein vegan snack hacks!